NEWBROUGH PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 5th March 2014
Present Cllrs MD Newson (Chairman), J Annan and MW Gibson
Also Present: Clerk, R Macfarlane and Cllr RM Gibson
Apologies Cllr D Walker.
Declaration of Interest Cllr MD Newson – Newbrough CofE First School Cllr RM Gibson – all planning matters.
The Minutes of the Meeting of Newbrough PC which was held on 8th January 2014 were approved by the Council then signed by the Chairman.
The contract for work around the Whitebeam trees has been awarded to DJ Forster Building Services.
Community Right to Bid for Assets of Community Value
The Council has received more information about this initiative – Community Right to Bid under the Localism Act and has asked residents to identify properties they wish to retain in the future. The Council has identified possible assets, WI House, Newbrough Town Hall and Red Lion Inn.
Public First Focus
No members of the public were present.
Newbrough Church of England First School
Humshaugh Governors have unanimously decided to appoint Mrs Cath Newson to the shared headship for Humshaugh Church of England First School and Newbrough Church of England First School and they have the full support and encouragement of Diocesan Education Board and the Local Authority.
Parents at Newbrough have received letters from the NCC stating that from September free transport to schools in the Hexham Partnership of schools will no longer be offered. Newbrough is a feeder school for the Haydon Bridge Partnership of schools for which free transport to schools will continue. Cllr Michael Gibson had discussed implications with the Chair of Newbrough First School Governors who was confident that there was no threat to schooling in Newbrough. Throughout Northumberland, there are outstanding issues with regard to the possibility of First Schools becoming Primary Schools.
The following correspondence was related to all councillors:
Area Committee Meeting
- Felling of Trees As well as work along Church Lane the Clerk reported that more safety work had been carried out on the tree above the parish council seat at St Peters and the stump will be attended to when the appropriate equipment is available
- Revised Northumberland Town and Parish Charter The Council expressed enthusiasm for the developments forging links more effectively. Those who have used the website, like it. Councillors thought that they might have liked more information previously about the PLWG but can now keep up to date via the web. The Council, as a smaller outfit, is unable to populate the questionnaire with useful views but felt it essential to join in and build up views as we grow more experienced with issues like the Charter and Asset Transfer. We are certainly keen on improved communications over the many small, locally important issues we discuss at our meetings.
- Youth Projects and Pioneers The Council pledged to support various youth groups and youth initiatives. Some of the possible projects were; tidy up community areas, planting bulbs and flowers and ecology activities.
- Isos Play Area at Sidgate The Clerk was asked to enquire why Isos have removed a swing seat from the play equipment and whether it will be replaced.
- NCC Local Services You now have the choice of how to contact Northumberland County Council; alongside the existing 0845 600 6400 telephone number you can use 01434 400388
NCC Traffic Regulation Order
Network Management -Hexham parking consultation
Clerk to contact Terry Luck, Transport Projects Team. Newbrough Parish Council are concerned that any changes may have unintended consequences and the Council would certainly not want any reduction in parking opportunities in Hexham.
Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 – Section 14
As Amended by Road Traffic (Temporary Restrictions) Act 1991
Temporary Road Closure – C234 Hexham bypass to Fourstones, Fourstones
County Council intends making an Order under the above Act to prohibit the use by vehicular traffic on that section of the C234 Hexham bypass to Fourstones, Fourstones for 1600 meters west of Fourstones in the County of Northumberland. The Temporary Order is to be effective from the 04th of March 2014 until the 04th of April 2014. It is expected that the road will only be closed from the of 04th of March 2014 until the 06th of March 2014 between 09:00 – 15:00 hours each day.
A huge pothole in the middle of the estate is very dangerous and growing by the day. The Clerk was asked to inform NCC Highways.
NCC Application 13/00740/FUL Change of use from Class B1 (Business) to Class C3(a) (Dwellinghouse) and external repairs to existing historic building fabric. Newbrough WI House. NCC granted permission 26th February 2014.
Northumberland County Council
Cllr Gibson reported on the Scrap Metal Dealers Act had come into force and would need to be included within the list of licensing activities which fell within the remit of the NCC Committee. The Public Safety Unit Manager advised that the Licensing and Regulatory Committee would consider the Terms of Reference and recommend any changes to Full Council. Cllr Gibson invited questions from councillors.
Clerk’s salary It was RESOLVED to round up the Clerk’s salary to £250 pm
Bank Accounts 3rd March 2014 BMM £17699.56 Community £1754.05
Payments Approved Expenses £42.55 (vat £4.82), CAN £50, PCC £850, OneandOne Website £31.43 (vat £5.24)
Payments in Special Category (LGA 1972 s137)
Grant aid to Tynedale Hospice £100, and Toma Fund £50
Date and Time of Next Meeting – 7.00 pm, 7th May 2014
The Meeting was closed at 9.15pm.